Friday, April 18, 2008

Sa Yang Choi (Beef and Watercress Stew)

I was trying to figure out how to cook "sa yang choi" a beef and watercress stew that my mom cooks... I don't know where she learned it but its one of our favorite.

I came across with this recipe in the web. I was googling watercress and try to get some image of it when I saw this one. Actually, I wasn't expecting that i would find one... i just alter it a bit to show how my mom cooks it (originally, this stew comes with red dates and pork is used instead of beef) I just omitted it!

I really don't know the name of this food but everytime we ask our mom whats for lunch she'll say sa yang choi so I'm gonna call it that way na lang.

Beef
Watercrest
Salt to taste


Wash and separate the watercrest’s sprouts and stems and put them in a different bowl.
Boil water in a stockpot and add in pork ribs once it’s boiling. Then throw in the watercrest stems then boil for 1.5 hours.
Remove the stems from the stockpot and put in the watercrest sprouts and let it boil for another 1/2 hours.
Add salt before serving.

** My mom would normally brown the meat first before stewing. Then, she would add water and put some cloves of garlic.... and knorr beef cubes (her typical flavoring)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watercress = Sa Yang Choi (that's how we call it)

I remember... before during our kitchen lab. our professor won't believe me that we have watercress here in the philippines. She keeps insisting that we don't have one... and points out that maybe its a water spinach and not watercress. well, she is wrong this one really looks like our "sa yang choi" a watercress... what do you think? for me it is!

No comments: