Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hom Sui Gok

When our dad went home from work he brought us a 'pasalubong' (usually food) and this is one of it. He says that it's like a chinese version of empanada. I really LOVE empanada (my college friends would agree! every lunch and break time sa holy lagi nlng un ung eat ko hahaha!)So, I tried it!... At first, I was hesitant to try it 'cause it doesn't look appetizing to me and it look so oily plus it was kinda cold already. so I popped it inside the oven to re-heat it at the same time i was hoping to lessen the oilines. Well, I was right and I LOVED it even more! Why? 'cause the dough turns crunchy and the oil much lesser na. but when my dad find out about what I did he says sayang because I wasn't able to taste ung real lasa nya with its original texture. so the next time he bought it. I ate it as is na! But, personally I LOVED it more when the dough is crunchy. Anyways, Heres the recipe I haven't tried it yet. 'Cause I just found it in the web. If I tried this one I will re-post ok?and tell you what it taste like.



Ingredients:
For The Dough:
3/4 lb. Glutinous Rice
1/2 c Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 c Water
3 tbsp. Gin

For The Filling:
2 1/2 oz. Ground Pork
1 1/2 oz. Shrimp (Shelled, Deveined and Minced)
1/4 c Chopped Green Onion
2 tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 tsp Rice Wine
1/2 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Ground White Pepper
6 Dried Mushroom

Procedure:
For the Dough:
In a large mixing bowl, combine the glutinous rice flour, sugar and baking powder. make a well in the center. Pour the water and gin into well, stirring with chopsticks or a fork until the dough forms a ball. Place dough onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes. Cut the dough in half and roll each half into a 10-inch cylinder. Cut each cylinder into ten 1-inch pieces. Roll each portion into a ball and cover with a damp towel.

For the Filling:
Soak the mushrooms in warm water to cover until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain and squeeze to remove excess water. Discard the stems and mince the caps.

Prepare the filling: In a medium bowl, combine the mushrooms, pork, shrimp, green onion, sesame oil, soy sauce, oyster-flavored sauce, wine, sugar, salt and white pepper. Mix well.

For the Dumpling Preparation:
With your finger tips flatten one portion of the dough into a 2-inch circle. Place a heaping teaspoon of the filling onto the circle and gather the edges together and pinch to seal. Roll into an oval shape. Continue until all the dumplings are prepared.

Pour 2 inches of oil into a 2-quart sauce pan. Heat to 350 F. Carefully slide the dumplings, a few at a time, into the oil. Once they float to the top, use a Chinese wire strainer or slotted metal spoon to keep them submerged in the oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with the strainer or slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining dumplings.

Serve hot.

My Lolas version:

well, my lola kasi is an experimental cook eh. and a GOOD one too! (her papaitan is OUR ALL-TIME Favorite plus her machang nyum) she added mashed squash into the dough mixture turning the dough slightly orange so mas appealing sya. Not bad nmn ung version ng lola ko but she forgot to put salt sa filling so its kinda bland... =(

No comments: